One of the fondest memories I have of my early summer holidays was exploring my masaji's cupboard full of comics and books. Hours, days, nights would go by while I would be flying with Superman (heck I'd rather be Superdog than just Tarun Somani!), throwing punches alongside Batman, going on adventures with Cadbury and Richie Rich. I guess I am reading more serious (not necessarily better!) stuff these days and after a year of mostly ordinary reading habit, its good to be back on the full swing.
Books that I have just finished reading:

A perfect coffee table book. Infact I read most of it in Coffee Day sprawled on one of the couches there sipping an excellent Frappe'. Read it, enjoy the supposedly astonishing facts, and happily forget it in a few weeks. I think this is one of the best examples I have seen of the book name contributing to most of its success. Would it have been as good a seller if it was named "Unconventional Economics"?
Even after 20 years of publication, the book oozes energy and freshness. Though its based on the 80's heady days of investment banking on the Wall Street, what makes it stand apart is the author's wry sense of humour which shines across. Brilliantly written and immensely entertaining!
3 comments:
From a long hiatus to a really prolific week - you're generating stuff at a speed faster than anyone can catch a breath to post a comment.
And yes, an almirah full of comic books seemed heavenly in an age when life was truly middle class & in a normal scenario, your only gateway to read books was getting a 25-paise pocket money per day to rent a book ( am sure rates wouldn't have exceeded in your age beyond Re 1). There's no way of repeating that charm..
And that's one of the problems of affluence - it strips away a lot of small joys.. And we don't even realise it or likt to believe it!!
Hey!
First off thanks for dropping by, thats how i came back to your blog. (The last time to check the video).
Freakonomics was indeed a good read,
got hooked to Levitt's later commentaries post that.
As regards my blog, well you might be a little dissapointed, cause like the description says its on Marketing being a way of life...well in a way it might just involve a lot of human interaction considering the players in it.
duh-duh,
I guess i've finally found my blogging rhythm and am writing away to my heart's content.
One of the biggest perks of having an elder bro and masaji - both of whom loved reading - was to never be in the need of Re 1 coins. All the books seem to be right there!
Am not sold on the idea of affluence stripping away the small joys - its just how one uses that affluence which matters.
Aditi,
To be quite honest I did not find Freakonomics that great a read. But then i guess i am a very small minority on that choice. I assume that you must be a regular visitor to the Freakonomics blog then.
I will keep tuned into your blog to see how the players shape up :)
Post a Comment